Shanghai’s Summer is glorious, with almost every day an opportunity to go to the best swimming pools for kids.
We haven’t included many hotel pools, because if you can afford ¥30,000+ for a yearly membership then obviously just pick a top hotel.
We also left out the ‘water parks’, because Shanghai’s water parks are (in our opinion only) urine-soaked hell-holes.
But here’s a good mix of kid-friendly pools in Shanghai.
- Always take swimming caps
- Shanghai’s swimming pools are notoriously badly managed. Efficiency and logic are not specialties. So don’t be surprised at price changes, time changes, rule changes and so on.
- Always go early (or during weekdays). The popular ones fill up fast and people get pretty territorial over loungers and sitting places.
- Remember sun-block, sunglasses, hats, umbrellas, snacks and water, towels, swimming costumes.
- Take care with kids because there is always a chance of some young folk trying to impress each other and not taking care in the pool.
- Fully check depths of all areas, in case your kids are wading in a shallow area which suddenly drops deeper without warning.
Shimao Riviera Garden
¥120 per adult, ¥60 per child.
Lots of space and drinks served outside.
Address: 1-2 Weifang Xi Lu, by Pucheng Lu, www.shimaousa.com
¥318 per person entry
Nice pool environment with excellent views, lovely changing rooms.
Address: 1788 Lujiazui Ring Rd
¥150 for adults, ¥80 for kids
On the fifth floor of a random building, there are two pools, one for kids.
Address: 788 Dongfang Lu, near Zhangyang Lu, Pudong.
JW Marriott Tomorrow Square
Go to this lovely outside pool for RMB 280 per adult, RMB 150 for ages 3-12.
Address: 399 Nanjing Xi Rd
An apartment’s pool but they ‘usually’ allow entry for all.
Address: 100 Zhongtan Lu, near Yichang Lu
¥150 for adults, ¥50 for kids
Little pool in an apartment on Julu Rd. Gets very busy on weekends so go in the morning.
Address: 568 Julu Lu, near Shanxi Lu
Technically for members but they let in people for one time ‘trial’.
Address: 1500 Huaihai Zhong Rd
New World Hotel
Big pool, big view, big terrace.
Address: 1555 Dingxi Lu, by Changning Lu, www.newworldhotels.com
¥100 adults, ¥60 kids
Big but very popular, go as early as possible. They have food and drink poolside.
Address: 788 Hongxu Lu, near Huaguang Lu, Minhang district.
Sofitel Sheshan Oriental
The furthest out but if you live in Minhang or Huacao then you’re almost already there. ¥300 entry to a big outdoors pool, and you can even hire little pedaloes.
The hotel also has a play area inside for ages 2-5 and obviously a buffet restaurant to make it a full day out.
Le Meridien Sheshan
In a similar spot but with better views from their pool.
Address: Le Meridien